|6 Mar 2022 10:00 AM - 12:30 PM||Brookhouse Farm, Framfield||Maria Naylor|
On our fun morning of pig keeping, you will learn about:
- The legislation that governs both the keeping and movement of pigs – and what this means for the pig keeper
- Selecting the right area within the smallholding to keep your pigs
- Options for pig housing, and for bedding
- Different types of fencing for keeping your pig contained
- Selecting the right breed of pig for your needs, including where to source the right weaner
- Handling your pig safely and completing basic health checks
- What to feed your pigs from weaners through to slaughter, to ensure the correct fat coverage
- Preparing your pigs for slaughter, choosing an abattoir and butcher
- Selecting the right cuts for your needs
This workshop is run by none other than renowned pig expert Maria Naylor, former chair and former treasurer of SFTG, so you can be guaranteed a really enjoyable session.
Although this workshop is aimed predominantly at those of you raising your own home reared meat, much of the information will be just as relevant if you prefer to keep your pigs as pets.
Depending on the interests of those who come on the course, we may also cover such items as breeding and showing your pigs.
Can’t make this date? Event sold out? Please email our training organiser so that you will be on the list when we run the workshop again.
Bookings are closed for this event.